If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you may have considered making a personal injury claim for compensation. It won’t be long before you realise the law is complicated and there is a lot of information to absorb. While it is always best to seek professional advice from an experienced Personal Injury Lawyer, it is always good to try have some understanding of the claim process. Here is a list of 5 main points that you should know before proceeding with a personal injury claim.
1. Anyone involved in a motor vehicle accident may be entitled to make a personal injury claim!
Many people don’t realise, that practically anyone involved in a motor vehicle accident may be entitled to make a claim for compensation. Any person that sustained injuries, including the driver, passenger, pedestrian or a cyclist that sustained injuries from the accident has a right to claim for compensation. The only time you may not be entitled to compensation is if it is proven that the accident was your fault. Determining who is at fault in a car accident can be quite complicated and so it is always best to seek advice from a Personal Injury Lawyer.
2. In Queensland, all vehicles must be registered and carry compulsory third party (CTP) insurance.
This insurance covers compensation for people injured in a motor vehicle accident.
3. The amount of money that you receive from your claim will vary depending on a number of factors.
- the impact that the injuries have had upon your financial circumstances
- your age and occupation
- any pre-existing medical conditions you may have
- the nature and extent of the injuries that you have suffered
4. If you were involved in a hit and run and don’t know the identity of the driver at fault, you can still make a claim.
In some cases, the other party involved in the accident might drive off without giving you their details or they may not have any insurance. In this case, the Nominal Defendant (a statutory body established solely for the purpose of compensating people who are injured as a result of the negligent driving of unidentified and/or uninsured motor vehicles) will be liable to pay any compensation you are entitled to. Our experienced Lawyers at Cairns Injury Lawyers can point you in the right direction and offer you expert legal advice.
5. It’s not as expensive as you would think to hire a Personal Injury Lawyer!
Most personal injury firms work on a no-win no-fee basis, but in many cases, there are hidden costs. Cairns Personal Injury Lawyers guarantees that there are no hidden costs in our services. The only time you will have to pay us is after your win your compensation. If you don’t win, you don’t pay. It’s as simple as that.
We hope that you have you have found this information useful and you now have a better understanding of whats involved in making a personal injury claim following a motor vehicle accident. If you have recently been involved in an accident and you think that you may be entitled to make a claim, contact us at Cairns Injury Lawyers. We will use our extensive knowledge of the law and offer you the guidance and advice that you need in making your Personal Injury Claim
Cairns Personal Injury Lawyers
1/15 Spence St, Cairns City QLD 4870
Ph 4052 0700